Chicago authorities are investigating a South Side funeral home after more than 50 bodies were discovered improperly stored and in various states of decomposition Thursday.

The discovery came months after nearby residents began complaining about a “stench” coming from the funeral home.

[snip]

Workers load bodies into an SUV outside South Chicago Chapel on Friday, after authorities found more than 50 bodies improperly stored at the funeral home during an investigation the previous night in Chicago. (Pat Nabong /Chicago Sun-Times via AP)

“Staff is assessing the conditions of the remains, searching for documentation regarding identification of the decedents as well as death certificates,” the medical examiner’s office said in a statement online. “This process could take several days to ensure proper disposition.”

[snip]

No arrests or charges have been made in connection with the discovery, but Chicago police said detectives are investigating.

Chicago police are seen outside the South Chicago Chapel after authorities discovered dozens of decomposing bodies in the funeral home’s basement on Thursday. (Tyler Pasciak /Chicago Sun-Times via AP)

[snip]

The Department of Financial and Professional Regulation said the suspension was based on a finding that Morgan’s continued practice posed “a danger to the public safety, interest and welfare.”

The agency accused Morgan of “allowing multiple decedents to be kept in an unrefrigerated area with deplorable conditions including rodent infestation, causing decomposition and maggot infestation of the bodies.”

The funeral home is operated by a couple who previously ran a crematory that authorities said was also shut down over the mishandling of remains.

[snip]

Business records identify Clark Morgan, whom state officials describe as Johanna Morgan’s husband, as president of the funeral home. His funeral director’s license was revoked in 2024 for practicing with an expired license and “unprofessional conduct.”

Johnson told The Associated Press that authorities informed her that her mother’s body would need to undergo an autopsy and that she would have to identify the remains within the next several days.

“I’m discombobulated,” Johnson said. “My heart is broken.”

(*) Full article: https://www.foxnews.com/us/more-than-50-bodies-found-decomposing-inside-chicago-funeral-home-after-neighbors-complained-stench